Sunday, May 20, 2012

First world beta tester problems

When quilen were first flagged as tamable, I hadn't really paid attention to them before.  I was vaguely aware that they looked like weird cats.  Beyond that, I knew nothing.  I tamed one, learning as I did that they had been swapped to the worg skeleton, but were only appearing as one color: the gray stone.

I didn't expect to like these things that had barely gained my attention, but there was something about his strong back and confident posture...and yet, he didn't feel at all like Hector.  The same-yet-different vibe prompted me to easily name him Achilles.


I was a goner the moment I saw him scoot forward while howling.  It was just so silly and ridiculous.  Something Hector would do.

I was antsy wondering what color Achilles actually was underneath that stony exterior.  I hadn't seen the quilen before the change, so I figured he'd change appearances once the skin bug was fixed.  I settled on the white organic look for what I preferred, but was still curious to see which skin I'd actually tamed blindly.  Most of all, I worried that Achilles only worked with the stone skin.  After never bonding with a shale spider, I wasn't sure how that would work.  But his eyes were the most gorgeous shade...

Then the next build hit.  And it turned out that not only were my worries justified, but things were worse than I could have imagined.

The quilen were back, organic and colorful.  But they were also back on the cat skeletons.  I couldn't compare the new red-skinned Achilles to his original form.  Not only that, but I hadn't even unstabled him yet and I knew he wasn't himself anymore.  This body didn't suit him and he had left it.  Worse yet, even though it wasn't Achilles, it felt familiar.

I realized what it was.  Hippomenes wanted to come with me.  So I grabbed him from the stable, already starting to understand the position I was about to be in.  Another trip to the instance.  Hippomenes lagged his way toward the gray skin.  I wasn't sure if it was a sign or just the lag.  We tried it, but it didn't click right.  We went back again and changed him to white.


I couldn't believe it.  Hippomenes actually worked in this weird liondog form.  That was when I really started worrying about Achilles.  I was attached to two entirely different quilen.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I slowly realized more and more that I can't stand the cat skeleton for the quilen.  The yawns.  The lousy posture.  The fact that they look like every single other cat.  But my loyalty is to Hippomenes.  I'm rooting for him in this.  He and I have been through two hunters and four separate tames.  I have probably spent more collective time camping for him specifically than any of my other pets.  (There is a good deal of overlap with my time spent camping specifically for Arcturis, who takes first place on that count.)  He's Atalanta's lifemate.  I don't know Achilles beyond our positive initial meeting.  But I've never liked his namesake; there's a reason Hector is Hector.  Still, if Hippomenes isn't himself, I wouldn't begrudge Achilles my quilen position.

So now I have absolutely no idea what will happen.  If they have the cat skeleton, it's easy; Hippomenes stays.  If it's the worg skeleton, I have no clue which of the pair will click.  One?  Both?  Neither?  Impossible to tell ahead of time.  And the kicker is that the worg skeleton will most likely win.  It should win; it's the better skeleton for the family.  But it sure leaves me in an awkward position personally.

I have never been in a position like this before.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Unfortunately, all I can do is wait for the next build and hope for answers and closure one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment